Help support the vision of Woodland Hills Community Church!

Help support the vision of Woodland Hills Community Church!
For those of you who would like to support the vision & ministry of Woodland Hills Community Church (the faith community I serve that continues to encourage me to minister outside the box), please click on the link just above.

Thursday, December 11

Today’s Readings: Psalm 100; Hosea 11:8-12; Matthew 23:13-22; Philippians 4:4-7; Psalm 86

When I was younger and in my full-blown activist stage, I use to joke that my definition of hell was being in the same place as Pat Robertson and Jerry Falwell for eternity and my definition of heaven was NOT being in the same place as Pat Robertson and Jerry Falwell for eternity. That “joke” was a sad attempt by myself to mask the pain and frustration the public ministries of these two individuals had caused me. As I have gotten older and matured (at least I hope I’ve matured), I no longer repeat that joke. In many ways that joke took our human standards and values (i.e. when dealing with opinions that are polar opposites, one has to be right and one has to be wrong) and projected them onto God. That’s a tragic mistake to make. As I have grown in my understanding of my faith, I’m able to better connect with the wisdom contained in today’s passage from Philippians that points us toward a much different reality. As we continue to live into the realm of God, the author notes: “Before you know it, a sense of God’s wholeness, everything coming together for good, will come and settle you down. It’s wonderful what happens when Christ displaces worry at the center of your life” (Philippians 4:7 from The Message). I can now lay down my “worries” about who is theologically right and who is theologically wrong from a human perspective (Pat Robertson and Jerry Falwell or myself) and look forward to a time when Pat Robertson and Jerry Falwell can sit down WITH myself in God’s absolute truth and grace and celebrate the One (and only One) who was right all along: God. What a sense of peace and wholeness that vision of God’s reign brings! Til next time…

No comments: