Help support the vision of Woodland Hills Community Church!

Help support the vision of Woodland Hills Community Church!
For those of you who would like to support the vision & ministry of Woodland Hills Community Church (the faith community I serve that continues to encourage me to minister outside the box), please click on the link just above.

Wednesday, December 10

Today’s Readings: Psalm 78; Hosea 11:1-7; Matthew 23:1-12; Acts 13:16-25

Lots of folks have issues with aspects of the Scripture. Some, for instance, will rebel against some of the positions it takes on social issues (i.e. its treatment of women and its position on same-gender sexual activity). Others will rail against its endorsement of violence against those viewed as God’s enemies in the Hebrew Scriptures/Old Testament. I have a different issue with some pieces of Scripture. I wrestle with the way some present God in an anthropomorphic way that makes God look and act no different than you or I would (i.e. if we like God and treat God well, then God will like us and treat us well; if we don’t like God and don’t treat God well, then God won’t like us and treat us well). It’s nearly impossible for me to connect with a God whose capacity for love and mercy is no greater than our own. I love those pieces of Scripture, then, that point us toward a God whose capacities are far greater than our own – pieces like today’s reading from Hosea. As today’s passage from Hosea culminates, the prophet tells us that God says: “I can’t bear to even think such thoughts. My insides churn in protest. And so I’m not going to act on my anger. I’m not going to destroy Ephraim. And why? Because I’m God and not a human. I’m The Holy One and I’m here – in your very midst” (Hosea 11:7 from The Message). So how do you see God? Do you see God as a being whose capacity for love and mercy is similar to our capacities, or do you see God as a being whose capacity for love and mercy is far greater than ours? Til next time…

No comments: