Help support the vision of Woodland Hills Community Church!

Help support the vision of Woodland Hills Community Church!
For those of you who would like to support the vision & ministry of Woodland Hills Community Church (the faith community I serve that continues to encourage me to minister outside the box), please click on the link just above.

Monday, February 9

Today’s Readings: Psalm 106; Joshua 7:1-15; John 6:60-71; 1 Corinthians 7:32-40; Psalm 55

As someone who appreciates the life and ministry of the Apostle Paul a great deal, today’s reading from 1 Corinthians is one of my favorite passages. I say that not because of the content of the passage; I say it because of what the passage reveals about Paul’s character. In discussing the topic of marriage and singleness, Paul begins by expressing what seems to be a preference for single life. He then goes on to back off from this statement a bit when he wrote: “Marriage is spiritually and morally right and not inferior to singleness in any way.” He then goes on to say what I feel is the most revealing aspect of his faith in verse 38 when he wrote: “... because of the times we live in, I do have pastoral reasons for encouraging singleness” [emphasis added]. Two verses later he added: “By now you know that I think she’ll be better off staying single. The Mater, in my opinion, thinks so, too” (1 Corinthians 7:40 from The Message - emphasis added). So what do I like so well about verses 38 & 40? I love the fact that Paul contextualizes his faith (v 38) and has the humility necessary to qualify it (v 40) as well. In other words, he doesn’t come across as the arrogant person that some have accused him of being. The insights into Paul’s character provide a wonderful lesson for us to sit with today. How do you conduct yourself? Do you walk through the world generalizing your faith with a total lack of humility; or are you able to follow Paul’s example and contextualize your faith in a spirit of radical humility? Til next time…

No comments: