Help support the vision of Woodland Hills Community Church!

Help support the vision of Woodland Hills Community Church!
For those of you who would like to support the vision & ministry of Woodland Hills Community Church (the faith community I serve that continues to encourage me to minister outside the box), please click on the link just above.

Wednesday, February 11

Today’s Readings: Psalm 69:1-36; Joshua 8:30-35; John 7:25-36; 1 Corinthians 9:1-12a

Several years ago Dr. Elisabeth Kubler-Ross identified five stages that people go through in dealing with the loss of a loved one: (1) denial and isolation; (2) anger; (3) bargaining; (4) depression; and (5) acceptance. I’ve had many chances over the years to work with folks as they’ve gone through each of the stages. While some people don’t always go through the stages sequentially (and others repeat some of the stages more than once in their process) it’s important that individuals go through all of the stages before they come to terms with their loss. What I appreciate about Kubler-Ross’s work is that it helps us realize that as human beings, we have to welcome the full gamut of our emotions in order to arrive at a place of mental health. I would make the same case in terms of our relationship with God: we have to welcome the full gamut of our emotions in order to arrive at a place of spiritual health as well. Some folks, however, are uncomfortable with expressing what they perceive as negative emotions within the context of their relationship with God. I think that’s too bad. In fact, whenever I encounter such folks, I ask them if they’ve ever read the Psalms – for the Psalms are a wonderful example of human beings expressing the fullness of their emotions within the context of their relationship with God. In today’s Psalm, for instance, we hear the psalmist expression anger and frustrations (i.e. “Because of you I look like an idiot”). We also hear expressions of isolation (i.e. “I looked in vain for one friendly face. Not one. I couldn’t find one shoulder to cry on”). We even hear a little depression going on (i.e. “I’m broken by their taunts, flat on my face, reduced to nothing”). Each of these expressions are reminders that it’s okay to be real with God. The psalmist doesn’t leave us there, however; he reminds us that we shouldn’t get stuck in those places of anger, isolation, and depression. He urges us to see our process through all the way to completion so that we too might say: “Let me shout God’s name with a praising song, let me tell of [God’s] greatness in a prayer of thanks!” Today, during your time of centering, I would encourage you to be real with God and express the fullness of your heart - including those parts that you previously tried to clean up and make more presentable. After you’ve done that, open yourself to the possibility of radical transformation as you see your process all the way through. Til next time…

No comments: