Help support the vision of Woodland Hills Community Church!

Help support the vision of Woodland Hills Community Church!
For those of you who would like to support the vision & ministry of Woodland Hills Community Church (the faith community I serve that continues to encourage me to minister outside the box), please click on the link just above.

Wednesday, April 1

Today’s Readings: Psalm 130; Lamentations 3:55-66; John 12:49-59; Romans 10:14-21; Psalm 119:153-176

Featured Reading:
Romans 10:14-21

If you’re anything like me, you have little – if any – problem sharing those pieces of your life that mean a lot to you. When I watched the Houston Rockets destroy the Los Angeles Clippers last Saturday night, for instance, I had no problem talking about how great the game was with friends. When I had a great hamburger at Five Guys Burger & Fries a few weeks ago, I didn’t think twice about sharing the name of the restaurant with friends. And when I discovered that Cook Park was a great place to walk dogs, I was eager to recommend the park to other dog owners in my life. Sharing each of those pieces of my life came naturally. And yet when it came to talking about the single most important aspect of my life – my faith – I would often clam up. And why was that? I suppose it was because I was worried that others might assume I was being pushy. I didn’t want to be viewed as insensitive to others so I often kept my mouth shut. Over time, however, I’ve grown increasingly comfortable sharing pieces of my spiritual journey with others. And a part of the reason that has happened was because of the wisdom contained in today’s passage from Romans. The passage challenged me by raising a few important questions: “But how can people call for help if they don’t know who to trust? And how can then know who to trust if they haven’t heard of the One who can be trusted? And how can they hear if nobody tells them?” (Romans 10:14-15 from The Message). Those words helped me re-frame the opportunities I had to talk with others about my spiritual life. Instead of seeing such sharing as an act of intrusion, I came to see it as an expression of care. So where are you with all of this? Are you willing to share pieces of your spiritual journey with others as an act of care; or do you prefer to keep the source of your comfort, peace, and joy to yourself? Til next time…

No comments: