Help support the vision of Woodland Hills Community Church!

Help support the vision of Woodland Hills Community Church!
For those of you who would like to support the vision & ministry of Woodland Hills Community Church (the faith community I serve that continues to encourage me to minister outside the box), please click on the link just above.

Monday, April 6

Today’s Readings: Psalm 36; Isaiah 42:1-9; John 12:1-11; Hebrews 9:11-15; Psalm 142

Featured Reading:
Isaiah 42:1-9

If you spend a little time flipping channels on the television, you’re bound to run across a televangelist before too long. Many folks who evaluate televangelists evaluate the quality of their ministry by either the words that are said or the special guests that are included during the program. I tend to evaluate them using two other standards. First, I look at the facility from which they are speaking; and second, I look at the name of their ministry. The facility from which they speak tells me a lot about the values of the ministry. It tells me, for instance, whether they equate being “blessed” with having material rewards. As you might guess, I’m not a fan of the prosperity gospel approach. Second, I look at the name of the ministry because it’s a great indicator of how big the televangelist’s ego is. If the ministry is named after the televangelist, it tells me who is at the center of the ministry. So what’s all of this have to do with any of today’s readings? Well, today’s reading from Isaiah gives us a vision of the One who is to come. That vision goes something like this: “He won’t call attention to what he does with loud speeches or gaudy parades. He won’t brush aside the bruised and the hurt and he won’t disregard the small and insignificant, but he’ll steadily and firmly set things right” (Isaiah 42:2-3 from The Message). While I’m aware these are qualities associated only with the coming Servant (the one whom we Christians acknowledge to be Jesus), I also believe these qualities should be embodied in those who call themselves followers of this servant. As we focus on the culmination of Jesus’ journey this Holy Week, I would encourage you to look for things that tell us not just about Jesus – but things that also tell us about the lives those who would call themselves followers of Jesus would lead. Til next time…

No comments: