Help support the vision of Woodland Hills Community Church!

Help support the vision of Woodland Hills Community Church!
For those of you who would like to support the vision & ministry of Woodland Hills Community Church (the faith community I serve that continues to encourage me to minister outside the box), please click on the link just above.

Saturday, April 11

Today’s Readings: Psalm 46; Isaiah 55:1-11; Genesis 1:1-2:4a; Psalm 16

Featured Reading:
Isaiah 55:1-11

One of my favorite aspects of our faith is the way it is filled to the brim with paradoxes. Death brings new life; those who want to save their life must lose it; the last shall be first… the list could go on and on. Today’s reading from Isaiah starts with yet another paradox (or should I say paradoxical situation). The prophet is quoted as saying, “Are you penniless? Come anyway – buy and eat” (Isaiah 55:1 from The Message). My first response when I read those words was to say, “Hey Buster, pay attention! What part of ‘penniless’ don’t you understand?!” Just as I started getting worked up, I remembered a straightforward truth of our faith: the currency we people of faith deal with isn’t cash. So what currency do we deal with? Well, for me – someone raised in a Wesleyan tradition – I would say grace. It’s that very grace that allows us to secure things that at first glance would seem out of our so-called price range. As we await news of the resurrection that will burst forth out of our communities of faith tomorrow, I would ask you to consider this question: “What form of currency do you deal with in your life?” Til next time…

No comments: