Help support the vision of Woodland Hills Community Church!

Help support the vision of Woodland Hills Community Church!
For those of you who would like to support the vision & ministry of Woodland Hills Community Church (the faith community I serve that continues to encourage me to minister outside the box), please click on the link just above.

Friday, May 8

Today’s Readings: Psalm 61; Jeremiah 14:14-18; Matthew 7:22-27; 1 John 2:12-17; Psalm 140

I was someone who got a very late start in life dating. I didn’t seriously begin dating until I was 23. That gave me lots of years to listen to others talk about their dating experiences, and learn how to do it correctly. I knew, for instance, it was good to get to know the other person and find things to do that fit their interests rather than simply do things I liked. I also heard there was a timeline for how you let out information about yourself so that you didn’t get too serious too soon. In those early days of dating I remember thinking, “There sure are a lot of rules to follow!” I spent the better part of the next decade trying to successfully employ those rules in order to meet the right person and settle down. My whole approach to dating was turned upside down when I was 33, and I finally met the right person. Suddenly, everything clicked and it seemed as if I instinctively knew what to do. I didn’t worry, for instance, I didn’t have to count the number of dates before I felt comfortable sharing my hopes and dreams (i.e. wait until date # 7 to talk about that stuff); I could simply talk about them when the moment seemed right. I didn’t have to worry what I should do to commemorate our first month’s anniversary – I inherently knew what to do. I found that when I arrived in a healthy relationship my feelings and my behaviors fell into line. The rest took care of itself. Jesus addresses a similar dynamic in today’s reading when he talks about our relationship with him. Jesus tells us that he’s not impressed with those who want to sweet talk him with words like “Master, Master”. He’s looking for something more out of our relationship. He’s looking for those who are willing to let their feeling toward him align with their actions so that they produce one of the most important ingredients of a healthy spiritual life: obedience to God’s will. So where are you at in your relationship with the God revealed in Jesus? Are you looking for a relationship predicated on simply telling God what you think God wants to hear and making attempts to wine and dine God through showy displays of reverence; or are you willing to get real, be yourself, and allow your relationship to unfold with integrity? Til next time…

No comments: