Help support the vision of Woodland Hills Community Church!

Help support the vision of Woodland Hills Community Church!
For those of you who would like to support the vision & ministry of Woodland Hills Community Church (the faith community I serve that continues to encourage me to minister outside the box), please click on the link just above.

Tuesday, May 5

Today’s Readings: Psalm 43; Daniel 12:1-13; John 10:31-38; 1 John 1:5-10; Psalm 13

You don’t have to know me for very long to realize I am a huge sports fan. I’ve followed the sports teams from Houston for 31 years now, and during those years I’ve seen a lot of great players pass before my eyes – players like Earl Campbell, Nolan Ryan, Moses Malone, Warren Moon, Jose Cruz, and Hakeem Olajuwon. All of these players are people whose names would be recognized by most sports fans at the drop of a hat. One of the players that has most grown on me over the past couple of years is a player that virtually no one who isn’t a Houston sports fan has heard of. The man’s name is Chuck Hayes. Chuck is a 6’6” forward in his 3rd year in the NBA. Chuck went undrafted after he finished his collegiate career at the University of Kentucky. The reason Chuck went undrafted is because he is a terrible offensive player. He has an annoying habit of missing uncontested layups. Opposing teams can leave him totally uncovered just inside the key because they know such a distance is outside his shooting range. So if Chuck is such a horrible offensive player, why do I like Chuck? I like Chuck for two reasons. First, I like him because he is honest about his offensive shortcomings and would be the first to admit them. Second, I like Chuck because he is also one of the best defensive players in the league. His quick hands can shut down passing lanes; his quick feet help him draw charges from opposing players; and his huge heart makes him a monster on the boards as he regularly rips away rebounds from players that are at least 6 inches taller than he is. In other words, Chuck sets a great example for me in that he encourages me to be honest in my assessment of myself – know what I can do (and do it to the best of my ability), and know when I need help. It’s that same sort of self-awareness that the author of today’s passage from 1 John is pointing us toward. In addressing our tendency to think too much of ourselves, the author wrote: “If we claim we’re free of sin, we’re only fooling ourselves. A claim like that is errant nonsense. On the other hand, if we admit our sins – make a clean breast of them – he won’t let us down; he’ll be true to himself” (1 John 1:8 from The Message). In other words, the author encourages us to be like Chuck – know what we can do well, and know where we need some help. If that sort of self-awareness can take an undrafted, undersized forward out of Kentucky and make him a valuable contributor to an NBA playoff team; imagine what that self-awareness might do for you. Til next time…

No comments: