Help support the vision of Woodland Hills Community Church!

Help support the vision of Woodland Hills Community Church!
For those of you who would like to support the vision & ministry of Woodland Hills Community Church (the faith community I serve that continues to encourage me to minister outside the box), please click on the link just above.

Thursday, May 14

Today’s Readings: Psalm 108; Song of Solomon 5:9-16; Matthew 9:1-8; 1 John 3:19-24; Psalm 125

In one of the classes I took to earn my education degree in the 1980’s we learned about the concept of something called the Johari Window. The concept went something like this. When it comes to our personal identity, there are four quadrants. In the first quadrant - called the open quadrant - there is the part that is known to both us and others. In the second quadrant - called the blind quadrant - there is the part that is known to others but not us. In the third quadrant - called the hidden quadrant - there is the part that is known to us but unknown to others. In the fourth quadrant - called the unknown quadrant - there is the part that is unknown to both us and others. I remember thinking at the time: “What’s the use of speculating about the existence of an unknown quadrant of our personhood if that piece is unknown to anyone?” Today’s reading from 1 John suggests perhaps there is One who knows those parts of us that lie in the fourth quadrant after all. The author wrote: “For God is greater than our worried hearts and knows more about us than we do ourselves” (1 John 3:20 from The Message). I find the idea that God knows me that well both exciting and scary. I find the idea exciting because it suggests God knows what I’m capable of better than I do. I find the idea scary for exactly the same reason. This notion of being known so well by God challenges me to remain open to possibilities in my life that I perhaps would otherwise close myself off to. Today, I would invite you to contemplate for yourself what it mean to me known by One who knows even the unknown parts of yourself and see what changes such a knowledge might suggest for the way you lead your life. Til next time…

1 comment:

Dutch Bieber said...

Take, give, be.
In the Psalm reading winning or taking is the reward and evidence of of God's favor. In Matthew underneath the conversation about authority Jesus asks the church leaders to give, to give compassionately. I yearn to be in Divine presence 1 John describes. Where I simply can be. No struggle with taking or giving; no struggle with winning or losing; no struggle with being right or wrong. Just being.