Help support the vision of Woodland Hills Community Church!

Help support the vision of Woodland Hills Community Church!
For those of you who would like to support the vision & ministry of Woodland Hills Community Church (the faith community I serve that continues to encourage me to minister outside the box), please click on the link just above.

Tuesday, May 12

Today’s Readings: Psalm 45; Song of Solomon 3:1-5; Matthew 8:18-27; 1 John 3:1-10; Psalm 107:23-43

If you were to rank the books of the Bible from the most controversial to the least, the Song of Solomon would rank right up there near the top of the list. And why is the Song of Solomon so controversial? Because of the language and metaphors it uses to speak of what scholars believe to be the relationship between God and the church. You see most of us are use to thinking of this relationship in rather dry, dignified terms. The Song of Solomon, however, has the nerve to speak of this relationship in deeply passionate, deeply sensuous terms. Today’s passage from the Song of Solomon adds a new dimension to this language of passion. It adds what feels like a cautionary tale – a sort of “be careful what you ask for because you just might get it” lesson to which I can totally relate. You see, as I mentioned the other day, I didn’t meet my partner until I was 34 years old. That meant for years I had been romanticizing what it would be like to meet that special someone. And then I met him; and boy, did the reality of actually being in a loving relationship rock my world. I learned that falling in love was so much more complicated than I realized. It was, for instance, about more than just finding someone to meet my needs. The relationship stretched me out of my comfort zone as I worked to meet another’s needs as well. And while meeting someone who really “gets” you is a beautiful thing; it can also be a challenging - because it means you have someone in your life who can call you on your stuff. All of this is to say that being in such a powerful and transformative state is something you need to be ready for; otherwise, it just might totally overwhelm you. The author of Song of Solomon provides a similar word of warning to would be lovers of God. The author starts out by talking about the way one’s consuming passion drove the person out of bed in the middle of night looking for the person’s absent lover. After the lover had been found, the author closes with these words: “Oh, let me warn you … don’t excite love, don’t stir it up, until the time is ripe – and you’re ready” (Song of Solomon 3:5 from The Message). So where are you at with this? Are you still expecting a relatively dry, dignified relationship with your Lover/Creator; or are you open to the notion of finding that special Someone who will rock your world? Til next time…

1 comment:

Dutch Bieber said...

These passages remind me that often there is a need for an immediate response. It is black and white, right or wrong. Drop everything that might hold you back if it is the right move. What is the right next move for me? To center myself in the Divine during this time of turbulence.