Help support the vision of Woodland Hills Community Church!

Help support the vision of Woodland Hills Community Church!
For those of you who would like to support the vision & ministry of Woodland Hills Community Church (the faith community I serve that continues to encourage me to minister outside the box), please click on the link just above.

Thursday, August 27

Today’s Readings: Psalm 46; 1 Chronicles 17:16-27; Mark 13:1-7; James 1:19-27; Psalm 48

I’ve spent an awful lot of time with folks at the church I’m currently serving the past six weeks looking back on our seven years of ministry together – reminiscing fondly about where we’ve been and where we are. The time spent together has touched me to the very depths of my soul. There has only been one aspect of our conversations that has been somewhat troubling to me. That aspect often gets couched in words like: “I don’t know what we’ll do with you.” While I understand the loving sentiments of appreciation behind those words, those words can also represent a trap that can keep folks too attached to the past– and not fully open to the present and future. That’s a struggle folks in local churches are notoriously for: a love of the past that prevents them from living in the present and embracing the future. That nostalgia can produce a rigidity that prevents the Holy Spirit from moving folks to the places God is calling them today and tomorrow. Today’s reading from 1 Chronicles gives us a wonderful example on one who refused to buy into that sense of nostalgia. The individual was King David. In the passage, David began his prayer by saying, “Who am I, my Master God, and what is my family, that you have brought me to this place in life?” Those opening words are wonderful words that acknowledge the blessings he has already experienced. But David doesn’t allow himself to get stuck there. He immediately moves on by noting: “But that’s nothing compared to what’s coming…” Today, I invite you to find time and ask yourself this question: “In what verb tense am I living – the past or the present?” And as you move from the present tense to the future tense, I hope you’ll make David’s refrain a mantra of yours: “But that’s nothing compared to what’s coming!” Til next time…

No comments: