Help support the vision of Woodland Hills Community Church!

Help support the vision of Woodland Hills Community Church!
For those of you who would like to support the vision & ministry of Woodland Hills Community Church (the faith community I serve that continues to encourage me to minister outside the box), please click on the link just above.

Saturday, August 29

Today’s Readings: Psalm 87; 1 Chronicles 21:18-30; Mark 13:14-27; James 2:8-17; Psalm 84

If I were to ask you, “What quality or qualities do you think are most distinctive for someone who professes to be a follower of Christ?” - I wonder how you would answer. I’ve spent a great deal of time thinking about that question over the years, and I have arrived at my own set of answers. The first quality I feel is most defining is humility. I can’t see how anyone could say they are serious about following Jesus if they are arrogant or conceited. Those are two qualities that I NEVER saw manifested in Jesus during his earthly ministry. Consequently, I believe very strongly that Jesus’ followers shouldn’t take on those qualities either. The second quality I feel is distinctive is contained in today’s passage from James. That quality is kindness. “Kind mercy,” the author states, “wins over harsh judgment every time” (James 2:13 from The Message). One of the most heart-wrenching things I see in the life of local churches is acts of unkindness between members (i.e. people raising their voices toward one another in meetings or gossiping about one another outside of church). Acts such as those literally break my heart. There is absolutely NO excuse in my book for ever treating anyone in an un-Christ like manner. Ever! As you can see, I feel VERY strongly about those being defining qualities of those who profess to follow Christ. My question for you to consider today is this: what are the qualities you feel are most defining of followers of Christ? Once you’ve defined those qualities, I would encourage you to spend some time examining your life to see if you embody those qualities yourself. Til next time…

No comments: