Help support the vision of Woodland Hills Community Church!

Help support the vision of Woodland Hills Community Church!
For those of you who would like to support the vision & ministry of Woodland Hills Community Church (the faith community I serve that continues to encourage me to minister outside the box), please click on the link just above.

Wednesday, August 5

Today’s Readings: Psalm 66; 2 Samuel 14:1-20; Mark 8:31-9:1; Acts 24:17-21; Psalm 124

Those of you who have read my blog for a while know that there are at least two distinctive aspects of my call to ministry. One of those aspects is that I am a bridge builder who has an ability to bring groups together that would otherwise not be in relationship with one another. Another is that I have an ability to be in relationship with those who would otherwise not be in relationship with people others might call “progressive”. These two aspects have become foundational to my call. While I use these skills regularly in most areas of my life and my ministry, there is one area where I do not. That area is in my relationship with my sister. You see my sister and I come from very different places in life. One of those areas in which we are different is in our spiritual lives. While I belong to a community that encourages free-thinking and the inclusion of all people, she belongs to a faith community that is more dogmatic and exclusive of people. Two years ago, in fact, her pastor became president of a national group that – among other things – wanted to limit the rights of Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, and Transgendered people. Since then our relationship has become incredibly strained. We are lucky now if we talk more than 2-3 times a year. While in almost every other area in my life I am able to reach across cavernous divides and engage people, ironically with people in my own family I have been less that willing to do so. I was reminded of this situation by today’s reading from 2 Samuel. In that passage we hear the story of how King David is presented with a problem by a woman from Tekoa. David hears the story and thinks the resolution of the case is rather obvious – that is until he hears at the end the people involved in the case are really he and his estranged son Absalom. The interaction is a humbling reminder that many of us (myself included!) often have double standards as to how we lead our lives: one set of standards for the world, and one set of standards for our personal lives. Perhaps there is a relationship in your own life where you have been held double standards. If so, today just might be the day where the Spirit is calling you to reach out and welcome home someone you have exiled from you life. Til next time…

No comments: