Help support the vision of Woodland Hills Community Church!

Help support the vision of Woodland Hills Community Church!
For those of you who would like to support the vision & ministry of Woodland Hills Community Church (the faith community I serve that continues to encourage me to minister outside the box), please click on the link just above.

Friday, September 25

Today’s Readings: Esther 2:1-23; Acts 12:20-25; Psalm 124

For some reason, the UCC’s listing of daily lectionary readings has repeated the same set of readings for today that they listed yesterday. Since I reflected upon the text from Acts yesterday, today I’ll move over to the Psalm…

Today’s reading from the Psalms has special significance for me since I used a taped sermon I preached on the text as a part of my profile when I was candidating for the position to which I was just called. One thing leapt immediately to mind for me as I was working with the text. That thing was how quickly the psalmist was to identify God as the psalmist’s source for help (“God’s strong name is our help, the same God who made heaven and earth” – Psalm 124). It seems many of us these days are reluctant to do that: reluctant to identify God as our source of help. Why is that? I suppose it’s because we’ve grown comfortable pointing toward other things as our source of help (i.e. our financial planner, our doctors, our therapists, etc.). It’s hard for us to be vulnerable and point toward God for fear of sounding like one of “those people” (whatever that phrase means). Today, I would encourage you to sit down and list those things that you consider to be your primary sources for help. See if (and where) God ranks on your list. Til next time…

No comments: