Help support the vision of Woodland Hills Community Church!

Help support the vision of Woodland Hills Community Church!
For those of you who would like to support the vision & ministry of Woodland Hills Community Church (the faith community I serve that continues to encourage me to minister outside the box), please click on the link just above.

Saturday, October 31

Today’s Readings: Psalm 63; Nehemiah 4:1-23; Matthew 13:31-35; Revelation 7:(4-8) 9:17

I remember years ago during one of my seminary classes we had a discussion about why people come to church.

Some folks come to church, one classmate said, because they were raised in the church; over the years attending worship has become a habit. Other folks come to church to find a place of love and acceptance another classmate said. Another classmate added that some come to church in order to find a place to exert power and control over others.

In today’s psalm, the psalmist offers another reason why folks come to a place of worship. “God – you’re my God! I can’t get enough of you! I’ve worked up such hunger and thirst for God, traveling across dry and weary deserts. So here I am in the place of worship, eyes open, drinking in your strength and glory” (Psalm 63:1-2 from The Message).

My question for you today to consider is this: “Why do you seek out opportunities to worship?” Til next time…

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I come to church for several reasons-first to participate in community. My siblings live in other states, our daughter and grandchildren live 2 hors south by car, i have known many of the folks who attend this community gathring forwell over thirty years, as well as having attended this church from the ninth grade until going off to college. This is my extended family. I am so fortunate to have a family of 4 my 4 siblings and their families, and my in-laws and their families, but hasve this great big family at WHCC. We share eachothrs challenges and joys. We even take some risks from time to time, knowing that as family we can support experimentation, daring in the midst of acceptance and love. How fortunate we are. Betsy N. I have no idea about all those tags and what to do with them-the ones below this box.