Help support the vision of Woodland Hills Community Church!

Help support the vision of Woodland Hills Community Church!
For those of you who would like to support the vision & ministry of Woodland Hills Community Church (the faith community I serve that continues to encourage me to minister outside the box), please click on the link just above.

Friday, January 15, 2010 - Defying Gravity (Glee)

What I’m Reading Today: Romans 5

As I was reading the fifth chapter of Romans, I spent some time considering the language Paul used to talk about the human condition. “All that passing laws against sin did was produce more lawbreakers,” Paul noted. “But sin didn’t, and doesn’t, stand a chance in competition with the aggressive forgiveness we call grace” (Romans 5:20 from The Message). I started playing with the mental imagery of what those words suggested. The notion of sin seemed to represent a weighted or heaviness. And grace? Well, it represented a freedom and lightness. As I was thinking of these concepts, I happened to watch a taped episode of the television show Glee that I had missed when it first ran. The episode was called Wheels – and it contained a version of a song from the musical Wicked that I had not heard before: “Defying Gravity”. The song played with the notion of letting go of those things that hold you back (i.e. gravity/sin). So today, I thought I would share that song as a way to think about grace in new ways. Til next time…

No comments: