Help support the vision of Woodland Hills Community Church!

Help support the vision of Woodland Hills Community Church!
For those of you who would like to support the vision & ministry of Woodland Hills Community Church (the faith community I serve that continues to encourage me to minister outside the box), please click on the link just above.

Friday, January 8, 2010

What I’m Reading Today: Hebrews 11

Last night – as I concluded teaching my first new members’ class at Woodland Hills Community Church – I had the opportunity to engage in one of my favorite activities with participants. I was able to give them a short spiritual gifts inventory that I borrowed from the website of The United Methodist Church.

So why would I give the new members a spiritual gifts inventory?

I gave them the inventory because its part of the vision I have for re-defining the way we live together as the Body of Christ. Let me tell you why I say that.

Since the 1950’s, most local mainline churches have adopted a corporate model for their life together. By this I mean that local churches developed elaborate structures that were dependent upon recruiting new members who could simply be plugged in to open slots in order to keep the machine/congregation function. The primary goal was to get new members to meet the needs of the church.

My fervent desire is to turn that way of being upside down and cultivate a church-climate where the church exists to serve its members by helping them discover, develop, and then deploy their spiritual gifts. Such an approach would mean that the local church would offer its members the chance to serve from a place of excitement and passion rather than a place of guilt or duty.

I’ve found that there are some folks who don’t believe such an approach can work when it comes time to live together as the church. “After all,” they would argue, “what kind of person would be passionate about washing the dishes after a church potluck or painting the church nursery?”

Persons who have a spiritual gift of helping or perhaps servanthood.

So do you have an idea where you spiritual gifts lie? If not, I would invite you to take a moment and complete the short spiritual gifts inventory online. You’ll find the inventory if you click on the following link: spiritual gifts inventory. When you get to the spiritual gifts homepage, click on the "Online Gifts Inventory" button which is the third button from the top and then follow the instructions. The survey might help you find those opportunities to serve that connect you to your passion.

If you are a member of Woodland Hills Community Church and complete the survey, I would appreciate it if you would send me an email with a listing of your primary and second spiritual gifts. I hope you have fun as you begin to discover, develop, and then deploy your spiritual gifts!

Til next time…

No comments: