Help support the vision of Woodland Hills Community Church!

Help support the vision of Woodland Hills Community Church!
For those of you who would like to support the vision & ministry of Woodland Hills Community Church (the faith community I serve that continues to encourage me to minister outside the box), please click on the link just above.

Friday, April 16, 2010

What I’m Reading Today: Luke 22:39-71

There are lots of details in the story of the Passion that get lost in the bigger picture. One of the most intriguing for me comes at the very end of today’s reading. In the culminating words of today’s passage, we are told that as they religious leaders interacted with Jesus “… they had [already] made up their minds.”

That statement is a huge challenge for me because it reminds me of how many times in my life I go into situations already having made up my own mind. I interact with people and think I have already figured out who they are – so I only allow myself to experience the person I think I know rather than the fullness of the person they really are. A controversial political issue is raised – and I simply revert back to a position that I’ve held for years without factoring in any new information. An innovative idea is raised that could transform the life of the faith community I serve – and I think, “Oh, that’s too radical for the people I serve.” Time after time I find myself guilty of making the same mistake the religious leaders made in their encounter with Jesus: I have a closed mind.

Today I would invite you to explore various facets of your own life and ask, “Are there places where I am acting like the religious leaders and reverting to pre-formed opinions instead of opening myself to the situation?”

Til next time…

No comments: