Help support the vision of Woodland Hills Community Church!

Help support the vision of Woodland Hills Community Church!
For those of you who would like to support the vision & ministry of Woodland Hills Community Church (the faith community I serve that continues to encourage me to minister outside the box), please click on the link just above.

Thursday, April 15, 2010

What I’m Reading Today: Luke 22:1-38

I have a slightly different approach to the way I live out my ministry than some. My primary emphasis in my approach is not so much on the words that I speak as in the actions I try to manifest (at least on my good days).

Take – for instance – my theology of leadership. I say theology of leadership rather than philosophy of leadership because the model I aspire to is largely captured in today’s passage from Luke where Jesus is quoted as saying to the disciples: “I confer on you the royal authority my Father conferred on me so you can eat and drink at my table in my kingdom and be strengthened as you take up responsibilities among the congregations of God’s people.” I LOVE that vision of a leader as one who empowers the people.

Now I could go around preaching long sermons about how a good leader is one who shares her or his power with people; or I could carefully craft workshops that carefully outline models for distributing power amongst the people. Neither approach would be most consistent with my beliefs.

Instead, I try to act in ways that embody Jesus’ way of being. I frequently invite lay people to preach in order to allow them to share their experiences and insights with their fellow congregants. I create venues for people to help chose the music for worship services (i.e. our new Joyful Noise Songbooks); and I try to create forums for people to explore the depths of their faith together – instead of simply asking them to schedule an appointment to speak with “the pastor” about such important matters. Each of those actions represents my attempt to live out Jesus’ vision for leadership: a vision predicated on three words – empowerment, empowerment, and empowerment.

So what is your feeling about the word empowerment?

Do you see it as a sneaky way for a leader to foist their work off on others; do you see it as an inefficient way of getting things done; do you see it as a way of life; or do you see if as something else?

Til next time…

No comments: