Help support the vision of Woodland Hills Community Church!

Help support the vision of Woodland Hills Community Church!
For those of you who would like to support the vision & ministry of Woodland Hills Community Church (the faith community I serve that continues to encourage me to minister outside the box), please click on the link just above.

Friday, April 2, 2010

What I’m Reading Today: Luke 12:1-34

My father was a child of the Great Depression. Consequently, he raised each of his children to be extremely careful with his or her money. My partner Mike would say that’s a nice way of saying his children are cheap.

I can say there have been many positive aspects to my father’s teaching. From day one, for instance, I learned to live within my means. I also haven’t wasted much energy thinking, “I wish I could have (and you can fill in the blank with most material things).” That part has been extremely helpful!

The challenge of dad’s approach, however, is that it is hard for me to feel as if I have ever saved enough money to provide for the future. One some level I seemed to have learned to equate money with stability and security. Most folks in our society would say that’s an admirable approach.

I can think of at least one person who might question the degree to which I have taken that.

That person?

Jesus.

In today’s reading, Jesus is quoted as saying things like, “What I’m trying to do here is get you to relax, not be so preoccupied with getting so you can respond to God’s giving. People who don’t know God and the way God works fuss over these things, but you know both God and how God works. Steep yourself in God-reality, God initiative, God-provisions. You’ll find all your everyday human concerns will be met.”

A few words later he added: “Be generous. Give to the poor.” Then he brings things home by adding: “The place where your treasure is, is the place you will most want to be, and end up being.”

Those words challenge me on a regular basis to re-think my approach to things like how I spend my money and where I derive my sense of security.

Jesus’ words are a wonderful opportunity for each of us to examine our approach toward money today. It also gives us a helpful jumping off point to ask ourselves, “From where do I draw my sense of stability and security?”

Til next time…

No comments: