Help support the vision of Woodland Hills Community Church!

Help support the vision of Woodland Hills Community Church!
For those of you who would like to support the vision & ministry of Woodland Hills Community Church (the faith community I serve that continues to encourage me to minister outside the box), please click on the link just above.

Friday, December 14

Today’s Lectionary Readings: Psalm 58; Isaiah 8:1-15; Matthew 11:16-24; 1 Thessalonians 5:1-11; Psalm 25

After years of reading Scriptures, it’s easy to develop a cavalier attitude about the language and imagery used to capture the nature of our connection with God. You can start to think you’ve mastered all of the images used - that there's no insights left to gain. Unfortunately, that’s been the case with me at times in my life. Thankfully whenever I get to that point, God often throws me a curve that reminds me I still have much to learn. Today’s second Psalm provided me with a great example of this. For in reading the 25th Psalm, I encountered a phrase that was used to describe our connection with God that was new to me. In the fourteenth verse of Psalm 25, the psalmist says: “The Lord confides in those who fear [God]; [God] makes [God’s] covenant known to them.” The language suggesting we are confidants of God was totally new to me. I suppose that’s because I’ve been so use to relating to God in such a way that I think that I am the only one sharing things in my relationship with God – a relationship where God is solely my confidant. The psalmist’s suggestion that I might be a confidant of God reminded me that in order for a relationship to be healthy, it requires both parties have a willingness to be there for the other and listen to the other. In these busy last days before Christmas, I invite you to slow down and starting looking for – and listening to – God. This might empower you to be a better confidant for God. Good luck in your efforts! Til next time…

No comments: