Help support the vision of Woodland Hills Community Church!

Help support the vision of Woodland Hills Community Church!
For those of you who would like to support the vision & ministry of Woodland Hills Community Church (the faith community I serve that continues to encourage me to minister outside the box), please click on the link just above.

Wednesday, December 12

Today’s Lectionary Readings: Psalm 61: Isaiah 7:1-9; Matthew 11:1-6; Galatians 6:1-10; Psalm 31

As someone who was raised in a small town (1,500 people), it was a thrill for me to move to the big city. That was because the city offered so many things a small town couldn’t: a diversity of people and cultures; access to professional sports teams and the arts; economic opportunities; you name it. For the first several months I was here I was in heaven! But then one day when I made my first trip to the Rocky Mountains, I got another take on the effects of living in the big city. Coming down from the mountains, I gazed down upon the city and saw a gray cloud of pollution hanging over the city. It showed me very clearly the results of city life in a way that was difficult to deny. Had it not been for having the luxury of a different view, I would not have seen this side of city life. I remembered that experience today as I read the psalmist’s words from Psalm 61:2 in the NIV: “From the ends of the earth I call to you, I call as my heart grows faint; lead me to a rock that is higher than I.” Those words reminded me of what happens when you experience things from God’s eyes rather than our own. We get a different take or perspective on things – a healthier perspective. Today, as we live in a world still reeling from the effects of things like the shootings at the Omaha mall and the shootings on two church campuses here in Colorado, I would encourage you to make the time to ascend to the higher rock. May our faith and courage be strengthened as a result of that climb. Til next time…

No comments: