Help support the vision of Woodland Hills Community Church!

Help support the vision of Woodland Hills Community Church!
For those of you who would like to support the vision & ministry of Woodland Hills Community Church (the faith community I serve that continues to encourage me to minister outside the box), please click on the link just above.

Saturday, December 15

Today’s Lectionary Readings: Psalm 42; Isaiah 8:16-9:1; Matthew 17:9-13; Romans 13:8-14; Psalm 33

I learned an important lesson early in my life about balance. You see from an early age I was always someone who expressed my love for – and understanding of – God through service to others. This way of being led me to become an activist for peace and justice concerns by the age of 22. For nearly 8 years I devoted most of my spare time to these causes. But over those 8 years, something happened to me. I become more and more connected to the causes and less and less connected to the God who inspired me to become involved in them in the first place. As a result, I felt burned out by the age of 31. That’s why I so appreciated Paul’s words of perspective to the Romans in Romans 13:11 where he said: “But make sure that you don’t get so absorbed and exhausted in taking care of all of your day-by-day obligations that you lose track of the time and doze off, oblivious to God” (The Message translation). Perhaps there is a day-by-day obligation in your life that is overwhelming your life and minimizing the time you devote to your relationship with God. I invite you to step back, look at your life, and see if you’ve become oblivious to God. If so, find a way of balancing your commitments so that God doesn’t get pushed out of your life. Til next time…

No comments: