Help support the vision of Woodland Hills Community Church!

Help support the vision of Woodland Hills Community Church!
For those of you who would like to support the vision & ministry of Woodland Hills Community Church (the faith community I serve that continues to encourage me to minister outside the box), please click on the link just above.

Wednesday, July 30

Today’s Readings: Psalm 96; Genesis 44:1-17; Luke 6:27-38; Acts 19:21-28; Psalm 90

One of my closest guarded secrets in life is that I’m what some people call a Fanilow (that’s a terms used to describe fans of Barry Manilow). As a musician who myself leans toward big, schmaltzy ballads, Barry’s music has always hit a spot with me. I figured I was destined to be a fan since Barry and I even share the same birthday: June 17 (he’s a few years older than me I feel compelled to note, however). Anyway, on one of his album’s titled “Showstoppers”, Barry recorded a song from the musical "Will Roger’s Follies" that I had never heard before titled “Never Met a Man I Didn’t Like”. A portion of the lyrics go as follows: “Met the worst and met the best; some that put me to the test. Almost made me change my mind; yet somehow I'd always find. If you don't expect too much there’s a certain human touch homo sapiens have got~ other animals have not. Try the shoes on that are his; feel what makes him what he is. What's it like inside his skin - living in the skin he's in. Just like me a lump of sod; there but for the grace of God.” In many ways the lyric is taping in to the sentiment expressed in today’s Gospel reading from Luke. The passage includes these words: “To you who are ready for the truth, I say this: Love your enemies. Let them bring out the best in you, not the worst. When someone gives you a hard time, respond with the energies of prayer for that person. If someone slaps you in the face, stand there and take it. If someone grabs your shirt, gift wrap your best coat and make a present of it. If someone takes unfair advantage of you, use the occasion to practice the servant life. No more tit-for-tat stuff. Live generously” (Luke 6:27-30 – The Message). As I put the sentiments of composer Cye Coleman together with the words attributed to Jesus in Luke, there is profound wisdom there. If there’s one thing ministry has taught me its that when you stop and take the time to get to know someone and listen to their stories (or as Cye Coleman wrote “try the shoes on that are his”), you can’t help but walk away with a respect and empathy for even the most difficult personalities – for many times the difficult attitudes they project toward others is masking deep pain. Once you take the time to tap in to the pain and let it out (which would include Jesus’ advice to “respond with energies of prayer for that person”) everything begins to change – in their world and in yours. Perhaps there is a difficult person in your life that you have written off. If there is, I would suggest over the coming days that you take Cye & Jesus’ advice and stretch yourself to get to know the person a little better. You just might find a new love and respect for the other if you do that. Til next time…

No comments: