Help support the vision of Woodland Hills Community Church!

Help support the vision of Woodland Hills Community Church!
For those of you who would like to support the vision & ministry of Woodland Hills Community Church (the faith community I serve that continues to encourage me to minister outside the box), please click on the link just above.

Saturday, August 2

Today’s Readings: Psalm 18:1-30; Genesis 45:16-28; Luke 7:18-35; Acts 20:7-12

In yesterday’s entry, I culminated my reflection by offering one of the aspects of Jesus’ nature that I felt was most characteristic of Jesus; that aspect was his compassion. Today’s reading from Acts gives me the opportunity to reflect on yet another aspect of Jesus. Today I don’t want to focus simply on an adjective that I would use to describe Jesus; today, I want to focus on a word that characterizes Jesus’ approach toward ministry. Let me take a moment and set that word up for you. I’ll never forget an epiphany I had when I was sitting in my first New Testament course in seminary. We were studying the Book of Acts in depth when something powerful hit me. In many of the stories contained in the Book of Acts, the disciples were performing many of the same miracles that Jesus performed – including raising folks from the dead (as was the case in this morning’s story from Acts about Paul raising Eutychus from the dead). Of course this should not have surprised me. I had read these same passages dozens of times and was aware of Jesus’ words about what his followers would be capable (i.e. “The person who trusts me will not only do what I’m doing but even greater things” – John 14:12 from The Message). So why didn’t I pick up on this before? I guess it was because most folks who had taught me about the Scriptures emphasized what Jesus did FOR us; they totally downplayed what Jesus EMPOWERED his followers to do. In fact, I can’t remember a single instance where the word empowerment was linked to Jesus – that word was usually reserved for the Holy Spirit. Since my epiphany that day in class, I’ve tried to pick up that notion and focus my ministry on empowering others: not because empowerment is the “cool” or “trendy” approach to doing ministry. No, I choose to emphasize empowerment because that’s the example Jesus set for his followers. Today, I would invite you to reflect on where you come down on that continuum in terms of understanding Jesus: do you see him as someone who did things for us, or do you see him as someone who empowers us to do things, or somewhere in between? Once you locate him on your own theological spectrum, take some time and see how your understanding of him has shaped the quality and character of your own spiritual life. Til next time…

No comments: