Help support the vision of Woodland Hills Community Church!

Help support the vision of Woodland Hills Community Church!
For those of you who would like to support the vision & ministry of Woodland Hills Community Church (the faith community I serve that continues to encourage me to minister outside the box), please click on the link just above.

Friday, February 6

Today’s Readings: Psalm 42; Joshua 6:1-14; John 6:41-51; 1 Corinthians 7:17-24; Psalm 135

I was talking yesterday with a seminary student about the emerging movement. During our hour and a half together, she asked some great questions. One of those was about how individuals from the emerging movement wrestled with questions involving religious pluralism. It was a great question. “The way I see it,” I told her, “people often read too much into the words of an individual. When I say, ‘I best experience the fullness of God as revealed through Jesus’,” I continued, “I’m not using that statement as an indictment against people of other faiths. Instead, it’s simply an assertion of where I find my spiritual home.” Consequently, I can hear the words from today’s Gospel reading from John and connect with the words attributed to Jesus – for the essence of God revealed through Jesus has helped put me together, has helped set me on my feet, and has helped get me ready (John 6:44 from The Message). So where are you at with all of this? Do you perceive any faith claim on your part to be judgmental of others and avoid them at all costs; or do you understand your faith claim as an attempt to embrace something rather than reject another? Til next time…

No comments: