Help support the vision of Woodland Hills Community Church!

Help support the vision of Woodland Hills Community Church!
For those of you who would like to support the vision & ministry of Woodland Hills Community Church (the faith community I serve that continues to encourage me to minister outside the box), please click on the link just above.

Saturday, February 7

Today’s Readings: Psalm 143; Joshua 6:15-27; John 6:52-59; 1 Corinthians 7:25-31; Psalm 33

This week, I’ve been thinking about the idea of what it means to be restored. This is because tomorrow’s Gospel lesson on which I’ll preach includes the story of Peter’s mother-in-law’s restoration to health. One of the questions I’ve been wrestling with is this: “Does being restored mean we return to the status quo?” I found one possible answer in today’s first reading from the Psalms. In Psalm 143, the psalmist observed: “I sat there in despair, my spirit draining away, my heart heavy, like lead. I remember the old days, went over all you’ve done…” Those sentiments almost make it sound as if restoration were simply a return to the good old days. But just before I rested in that conclusion, the psalmist threw in a twist in my direction. The psalmist wrote: “Teach me how to live to please you, because you’re my God. Lead me by your blessed Spirit into cleared and level pastureland” (Psalm 143:9-10 from The Message). This language suggests restoration is anything but a return to normal. The language suggests restoration might involve learning new things and finding new pasturelands. As you find yourself sitting there in you own despair and crying out for restoration, take a moment and consider what restoration might mean in the context of your life. Then ask yourself if you are ready for those new learnings and new pasturelands. Til next time…

No comments: