Help support the vision of Woodland Hills Community Church!

Help support the vision of Woodland Hills Community Church!
For those of you who would like to support the vision & ministry of Woodland Hills Community Church (the faith community I serve that continues to encourage me to minister outside the box), please click on the link just above.

Thursday, February 5

Today’s Readings: Psalm 61; Joshua 5:2-15; John 6:28-40; 1 Corinthians 7:12-16; Psalm 59

Recently I was talking with a group of friends about a variety of things when the topic turned to when it was appropriate to make a public stand in defense of one’s faith. I shared with my friends an experience I had a couple of years ago when I was asked to testify at the State Capitol regarding a bill. The group who was working to defeat the bill asked me if I would wear a clerical collar when I testified. Their hope was that the collar would visually emphasize my pastoral authority as I testified. I agreed to wear it. In reflecting on the experience after it was over, I deeply regretted wearing the clerical collar. “Why?” I was asked. “I regretted my decision,” I said, “because it created the appearance that all ‘good’ Christians felt one way about the bill. I don’t believe that’s the case. I believe that there were Christians on both sides of the issue, and I deeply regretted disenfranchising those faithful Christians who saw things differently than I.” So what reminded me of that conversation? Today’s passage from Joshua. In that passage, Joshua was standing near Jericho when he saw a man suddenly appear holding a drawn sword. Joshua stepped up to the man and said, “Whose side are you on – ours or our enemies?” Joshua’s question beautifully encapsulated the way that many of us see our faith – as if there are only two sides to every issue: my way and the wrong way. The man’s answer challenged such an approach when he said: “Neither. I’m commander of God’s army.” Today, I would ask you to examine the depths of your heart and ask yourself: “How do I approach the world? Do I approach it as if there are only two ways (my way and the wrong way); or do I approach it in such a way that I’m open to a third way – God’s?” Til next time…

No comments: